Our standard consultations are 15 minutes in duration.
Keeping to time
Please let us know if you need a longer consultation.
Book a double consultation for:
- Complex medical conditions and multiple health problems.
- Medical examinations.
- Mental health consultations.
- Please discuss with the receptionist if you are unsure.
Consultations longer than 20 minutes in duration are billed as a long consultations and attract higher fees.
Additional fees also apply for procedures, ECGs, lung tests, dressings and some vaccinations.
Multiple problems and more than one family member
A second appointment may be required if you have more than one problem or more than one family member who has a medical problem and needs a consultation.
Mondays are our busy days
Please try to book routine appointments on the other weekdays.
Urgent medical problems
We keep a number of appointments open each day for patients who are sick and need to be seen quickly. To access these appointments please ring our receptionist at 08:00 am. Throughout the day our practice nurse is available to assess any urgent inquiries and determine whether a same-day appointment is required.
Please note that a fee may be charged if you do not keep your appointment or cancel without at least 4 hours' notice. This fee does not attract a Medicare rebate.
Off work certificate
- Please book a consultation for a doctor to verify and certify that you have a medical condition which requires time off work.
- It is illegal to back-date a medical certificate.
If you are running late
- Your late arrival might delay other appointments. Please don't be offended if we reschedule your appointment for a later date.
- You may call our reception staff to check whether your doctor is running to time. However we cannot guarantee an exact appointment time because of the nature of medical practice. We will try to inform you or reschedule if the doctor is running more than half an hour late.
- Most prescriptions provide enough repeats to last until your condition needs to be reviewed by the doctor. A consultation will usually be necessary when you need repeat prescriptions, particularly if you have not seen the doctor for 6 months or more.
- In certain circumstances (eg. lost script) a request for a repeat prescription can be left with our reception staff. A prescription will be provided at your doctor's discretion. Please allow 2 working days.
- Although a fee applies for prescriptions provided without a consultation, we can post your script to you or your pharmacist so that you are not inconvenienced with another visit to the practice. The usual fee for a prescription without consultation is $25.70.
- Our doctors will provide a brief comment on your pathology test results where appropriate. You can usually obtain this information by ringing the practice one week after the test was done.
- Please ring our receptionist on 92390200 and ask to speak to a nurse to obtain your results. Early mornings are usually busy, so a good time to call for results is usually in the afternoons.
- If you require further details about the pathology result, please book an appointment with your doctor.
- Some of our doctors use "DCP Results" which facilitates improved access to your laboratory and radiology results. With your consent, the doctor will provide you with a web address and PIN via your mobile phone when the results are to hand. You will have access to full text reports and comments from your doctor.
Referrals & reports
- Please book an appointment with your doctor if you require a referral letter.
- It is important that your specialist receives information about your other medical problems, a list of your other medications and notification of allergies. These are factors which may affect your care. This is part of your comprehensive care that is best provided during a consultation.
- Your doctor may be willing to write a referral letter without seeing you if it is for a “follow up “consultation with a specialist, or if you have lost the original referral note.
- Please allow 5 working days for the letter to be provided.
- Although there is a fee for referral letters and Reports provided without a consultation, we will fax or post the referral to your specialist to avoid the inconvenience of another visit to the Practice. The usual fee is $44 including GST for a brief referral letter, but a longer letter will attract a higher fee, based on the time taken by the doctor.
- Ellen Health is accredited for the teaching of UWA and Notre Dame medical students.
- If a medical student is sitting in with your doctor during the consulting session, the reception staff will inform you and your doctor will ask for your consent.
- Your confidentiality is respected by our doctors and staff. Medical students sign a confidentiality agreement.
Phone Calls to Doctors
- If you wish to speak with your doctor by telephone, Facetime, Skype or similar, please leave your request with our receptionist. Telephone consultation fees apply.
- Where possible, the doctor will call you back at the end of the consulting session, or arrange an appropriate time.
- Please let the receptionist know if the matter is urgent and your inquiry will be assessed by our duty Nurse.
A patient who uses offensive language or is abusive in any manner to our reception, nursing or medical staff will be asked to leave the premises and will not be offered further appointments at Ellen Health. The patient will be provided with a list of alternative practices and the medical records will be forwarded to a nominated GP.
We utilise the Telephone Interpreting Service (TIS). Please let the receptionist know if you require a translator during your consultation.