Ellen Health has a tree for its logo... And it is growing.
The GP-owned and managed practice has blossomed from its roots as a traditional cottage family practice, to a large extended-hours primary health facility, offering a broad range of occupational and allied health services. We pay respect to those who walked this land before us, the Noongar people, and we welcome people from all walks of life to this place of healing.
- The key services are a 7 day General practice, treatment of emergencies and occupational healthcare.
- Ellen health provides comprehensive health checks and chronic disease care plans, for conditions such as asthma, heart disease and diabetes.
- Dedicated women's and men's health services are provided by doctors with special interests in these areas, and a full range of family planning services, pregnancy care, sexual health and menopause services.
- Wellness is addressed through nutritional assessment and counselling, lifestyle counselling, mental health services including specialist psychological and pain management services.
- Ellen health has doctors with expertise in workers compensation, employment medicals, commercial diving, driving and aviation medicals. The centre has expanded its corporate healthcare services and equipment, including audiology booth, alcohol and drug screening.
- With the closure of Fremantle hospital emergency department in early 2015, Ellen health now provides important local emergency services to help meet community needs. The well equipped treatment room is staffed by several nurses, ready to triage patients requiring urgent care, and reducing hospital presentations.
Ellen Street Family Practice
The inception of Ellen Health was in the beautiful federation style building at 59 Ellen Street in November 2003, named Ellen Street Family Practice at that time. In 2003 doctors from the former Fremantle Family Medical Clinic moved from 10 Ord Street to the elegant building for more spacious rooms. Soon after establishment, Ellen Street Family Practice amalgamated with Fremantle General Practice. In 2011 the doctors at Ellen Street Family Practice took over the former William Street practice of Dr John Troy, naming it Ellen Street Central and the two practices were re-branded as Ellen Health.
Before long we outgrew these premises and sought a new home.
Ellen Health at the Beacon Theatre Building
Ellen Health renovated the Historic Beacon Theatre, and relocated to the site at corner Wray Avenue and Hampton Road in May 2014.
The building has been decorated with a Commendation from the City of Fremantle, for conservation of a Heritage listed place.
The major renovation works have achieved a beautiful purpose-built medical centre. With the general practice comprising the entire upper level, and built around the central treatment room, the workspace is functional and comfortable. The ground floor comprises Western Diagnostic Pathology, Wray Avenue pharmacy, Lifecare physiotherapy, and Fremantle Clinical Psychology and Counselling. The co-location of the health tenants provides convenient and integrated community services.
The practice is currently owned and directed by Ellen Health doctors - Dr Catherine Douglass, Dr Marcus Middleton and Dr Helen Moonen toe Amber Kane as Practice Manager.