Clinical Sexologist & Counsellor, Registered Nurse
Helena is a Clinical Sexologist, Counsellor and Clinical Nurse Specialist.
She has extensive experience in the area of women’s cancer care, working as the Inaugural Rural Specialist Breast Nurse in the South West with the Cancer Council WA, prior to accepting the role of Cancer Nurse Coordinator (South-West) with the WA Cancer and Palliative Care Network.
Helena will meet with couples and women who are experiencingrelationship difficulties with a particular focus on sexuality, sexual functioning and intimacy.
With an established career as a Specialist cancer and breast nurse, Helena also has a special interest in issues related to sexual functioning and intimacy for women and men who haveundergone treatment for cancer.
Relate: Sexuality & Intimacy Counselling provides a professional, confidential counselling and support for those who might be experiencing some difficulty with sexual functioning.
We can assist you to:
- Accept change in your life and enhance your sexual self-esteem
- Support you to consider what it is that makes sexuality and intimacy difficulty for you as an individual, or for you in your relationship
- Understand changes related to your body image and sexual self-esteem
- Maintain healthy sexual functioning
- Address sexual difficulties or overcome awkwardness with connecting sexually
- Re-develop a healthy sex-life balance
- Helena has a particular interest and expertise in supporting women to manage pelvic pain related to sexual intimacy, with issues including pain on sexual intercourse, vaginismus and vulvodynia. She works collaboratively with other health care professionals in this area to assist her clients.
She also worked for many years with the Menopausal Symptoms after Cancer (MSAC) Clinic at King Edward Memorial Hospital, and continues to do so, on a part time basis. In addition, she works for the organisation SECCA, Sexuality, Education, Consultancy and Counselling Agency.